The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Posted on January 20th, 2020 by Bill Stuhr

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that forms when fuels are not completely combusted. When people and animals are exposed to carbon monoxide, the CO molecules displace the oxygen in our bodies and lead to poisoning. One way small amounts of carbon monoxide could enter your home is through a heating system in need of furnace repair in Palatine.

Why Is CO so Dangerous?

Since carbon monoxide has no odor, color, or taste, our senses will not detect this gas. Dangerous concentrations of the gas can sometimes build up indoors before humans or animals detect a problem, causing you to be overcome in minutes without warning. Certain occupations also place people at more of a risk than others. Some of these include welding, garage mechanics, firefighters, forklift operators, and much more.

What Are the Symptoms of CO Poisoning?

Some older furnaces can cause smaller to larger amounts of carbon monoxide to build up in your home. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu and include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness.

How Can You Prevent CO in Your Home?

  • Ensure all appliances in your home are installed by professionals and according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Get furnace repair in Palatine often and be sure to request maintenance as well.
  • Install a CO detector or alarm. An alarm can add some protection, but the most important thing to do is to properly use and upkeep your appliances.
  • Never burn charcoal or use portable fuel-burning equipment inside a home, garage, or vehicle.

Contact Us

For more information on carbon monoxide in your home, or for furnace repair in Palatine, call us today or schedule service online!

Back to Blog